Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Morning



As I approach old age, I have come to the realization that I am indeed a morning person.  Aside from a few high school years when I found it heaven to sleep in as late as possible, I know now that I am better in the a.m.  Working part time for the past twenty years and having to be at the office by eight o'clock, I got in the habit of waking at 6:30 or before and I find I still wake up then.  If not, I am assisted by the Siamese cat who feels that now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their pets.  My husband likes to sleep in and so it is up to me.

Some years back I received a walkman for my birthday and, during the warm months, I found that putting on a sweatshirt, putting a tape in the walkman, taking a swig of orange juice and walking the neighborhood (little traffic and few people) was a wonderful way to start the day.  I could walk alone and enjoy the scenery. 

One summer morning in particular, I started down my hill admiring flowers and, as the sun rose spectacularly in the distance, the splendid sound of an African chorus from the soundtrack of "The Power of One" burst on my ears and it was a moment of infinite joy, a morning to remember.  To echo Jim Croce, I would that we could put time in a bottle and savor it.

No comments:

Post a Comment